Physical benefits of yoga include increased flexibility, increased muscle strength and tone, and a feeling of wellbeing from moving and stretching your body.
The relaxation techniques incorporated in yoga can lessen chronic pain, such as lower back pain and pelvic pain. Practicing yoga during your pregnancy is very beneficial for the same reasons, as well as allowing you time to connect and focus on yourself and your baby, while learning about breath and positioning for labour, birth and after you have your baby.
There are four basic principles in the therapeutic yoga healing system:
- The human body is an holistic entity comprised of various interrelated dimensions inseperable from one another and the health or illness of any one dimension affects the other dimensions
- Individuals and their needs are unique and therefore should be approached in a way that acknowledges this
- Yoga is self –empowering , the student is his or her own healer and yoga engages the person in the healing process
- The quality and state of the person’s mind is crucial to healing, positive mind-state will help with healing
Pregnancy Yoga and Relaxation
(Classes offered by Bev through Maternal Journey)
- Align, tone, strengthen and open your body in preparation for birth
- Learn breathing techniques to relax your body and mind throughout labour.
- Deepen your understanding of your body and how it beautifully facilitates pregnancy, labour and birth.
- Time to bond with your baby
- Spend time with other pregnant women at varying stages of pregnancy.
Date: Every Thursday morning
Location: Hillcrest Physiotherapy Clinic – 3 Masters Ave, Hamilton
Price: $17 per session
(Classes may be able to be claimed as part of your allocated ACC treatments –please discuss with reception at Hillcrest Physiotherapy)
Date: Every Tuesday
Time: 5.15 – 6.30pm
Location: River Ridge East Birth Centre – 35 Von Tempsky St, Hamilton
Price: $10 per session run on a casual basis
All equipment including yoga mats are supplied.
For more information visit: www.maternaljourney.co.nz